Women File Complaint Against Caylee Anthony’s Grandparents

June 9th, 2009 by admin

ST. CLOUD – Orange County investigators are looking into a complaint filed by two St. Cloud women who say they were chased by George and Cindy Anthony after the women caught Cindy removing a cross from the former makeshift memorial site for Caylee Anthony.

Lois Peter, 56, said she went to the site on Suburban Drive on Monday night with her 13-year-old granddaughter and two adult friends to leave a cross and see if anyone would take it.

They arrived at about 8:30 p.m. and watched the site from their car. That’s when they noticed Dennis Milstead, of Kid Finders Network and a friend of the Anthonys, driving up and down Suburban Drive.

They moved their car and Milstead followed them, Peter said. They left the neighborhood and Milstead, who was with his wife, did not follow.

Peter said they decided to return to the former memorial site, which is where they saw Cindy Anthony putting something into the trunk of her car, which was being driven by George Anthony.

The cross that they had placed earlier was gone, Peter said.

The group snapped a picture, and that is what appeared to have set off the chase, she said.

The Milsteads were in one truck and the Anthonys in another vehicle, and they chased Peter’s car around the neighborhood, boxing it in twice. Eventually, Peter said, her group came up to a state trooper at Narcoossee Road and Lee Vista Boulevard.

The trooper told everyone to go their separate ways. And they did.

Peter said she feared for her life during the chase, and that’s why she filed a complaint Thursday.

Peter had earlier met the Anthonys at the vigils the family held last summer. But eventually she and the Anthonys had a falling out and are no longer friends.

Brad Conway, the lawyer representing the Anthonys, told another version of the events described by Peter.

He said the car was driving around the neighborhood suspiciously, with its lights off. The people inside had ducked to try to avoid being detected.

Conway said George Anthony got out of his car to tell the people in the other car they needed to stop and that he was going to call police. That’s when, Conway said, George Anthony was nearly run over by the other car.

“I think they were being reckless,” Conway said. “Why are these people in somebody else’s neighborhood at 10:30, 11 o’clock at night? Leave them alone.”

The Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident.

Listen to Audio

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment. You are free to voice your opinion but please keep it clean. Any comments using profanity will be rejected.