Windsor Terrace mental patient kills mom and stabs dad but survives suicide attempt, cops say

December 14th, 2010 by Staff – Sprawled on the porch beside her bleeding husband, a mortally wounded Brooklyn mom Monday pointed at their fleeing son, telling horrified onlookers, “He stabbed us.”

Margaret Devaney lay dying, police said, while her blood-spattered son, Ryan, ran into the 15th St. subway station and tried to end it all by throwing himself in front of an oncoming G train.

Unlike his mom, the 31-year-old mental patient survived.

Ryan Devaney told stunned onlookers he “did something bad” before he leaped onto the tracks, Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne said.

He was in serious condition at Lutheran Medical Center, awaiting charges of murdering his 57-year-old mother and attempting to kill his father, Raymond, 70, by stabbing him twice in the throat.

Margaret Devaney, who was stabbed in the eye and abdomen, died of her wounds at New York Methodist Hospital, police said. Her husband was at the hospital in critical condition.

Ryan was living in his parents’ Windsor Terrace home despite the order of protection stemming from a July 5 incident during which the disturbed son threatened to “cut off” his father’s fingers if he didn’t give him money.

It wasn’t immediately clear what sparked yesterday’s carnage, but the psycho son was due in court tomorrow on grand larceny charges.

Police also recovered the murder weapon – a black-handled knife with a 4-inch blade.

Witnesses said the Devaneys’ neighbor Dr. David Coun saved the wounded dad’s life. He was more modest.

“I saw Ray was hurt badly,” he said. “I applied pressure to his wound.”

As Coun was speaking, a UPS deliveryman arrived on his doorstep with a package of Omaha Steaks – a Christmas gift for the Devaneys. He signed for the package with tears in his eyes.

“Ray and Peggy were kind and generous people who only deserved the best,” the doctor said.

NYPD officers were frequent visitors to the Devaney home.

Their troubled son has arrests for robbery, grand larceny, drug possession and violating orders of protection.

Ryan Devaney was also arrested two years ago in Florida for possession of drug paraphernalia, records show.

Neighbors said Devaney was mentally ill and his parents struggled to get him the help he needed.

“He has been in and out of institutions,” said Kevin Ryan. “They were trying to do the best they can as parents.”

George Dowd, who rented a room from the couple in 2008, said Ryan Devaney hung out with drug addicts in Prospect Park and raised hell at home.

“He would talk to you, then start banging on the walls, ‘Get out of here! Get out of here!’” Dowd said.

Christos Bohtis, who painted the Devaneys’ house two years ago, said “there were fights” between the parents and their son.

“He would mumble to himself,” added Raj Patel, who owns the Krupa Grocery on Prospect Park West.

Police responded to a call for help at 8:15 a.m. Ryan Devaney threw himself on the tracks seven minutes later, leaving a trail of feathers from his torn down jacket.

Transit officials said it’s not uncommon for people to survive being hit by a train. But the incident snarled the morning commute for legions of straphangers.

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment. You are free to voice your opinion but please keep it clean. Any comments using profanity will be rejected.