Texas boy dies after possibly drinking gasoline

June 30th, 2011 by Staff

ROWNVSILLE, Texas (AP) - A South Texas toddler has died after possibly drinking gasoline from a lawn mower.

Cameron County Sheriff Omar Lucio says the victim was 2-year-old Leonardo Silva of Brownsville.

Lucio says the toddler’s mother briefly left the child alone Monday morning outside the family’s mobile home. The child was later found unconscious. The boy died Monday night at a hospital.

Lucio said Tuesday that investigators at first thought the boy had inhaled gasoline fumes. The sheriff says deputies later determined a lawn mower’s gas cap was removed and some type of tube or pipe had been in the fuel tank, leading to an investigation into whether the boy drank the gasoline.

An autopsy has been ordered.


2 Responses

  1. bryan murphy

    how in the hell can a 2 year old remove the gas cap and know to stick a hose down and sypin the gas out,

  2. Tiffany

    That is exactly what I am wondering. They might want to check the parents because the child had to learn that from somewhere. I know my son does not just walk up and think to drink out of anything except a cup. So blame the parents..

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment. You are free to voice your opinion but please keep it clean. Any comments using profanity will be rejected.