Scottsdale dad says he ‘shot and killed my sons’ in 911 call

April 9th, 2010 by

SCOTTSDALE, AZ – A Scottsdale dad accused of killing his two young sons called 9-1-1 after the shooting last week and told authorities he needed medical help.

According to police tapes released by authorities, 39-year-old Andre Leteve dialed 9-1-1 just before 8 a.m. on Wednesday.

In the call, Leteve had trouble speaking. Reports indicate he had shot himself in the face before making the 9-1-1 call.

911 Operator: What’s going on?
Leteve: I shot and killed my sons and shot myself.
911 Operator: You did what?
Leteve: I shot and killed my sons.

When officers forced their way into the home near Scottsdale Road and Lincoln Drive, they reportedly found 5-year-old Alec and 15-month-old Asher Leteve dead from gunshot wounds and their father with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

“It would’ve been best if he had died. The repercussions are significant, what he’s going to go through now that he lived,” said “Luis,” a friend who asked us not to use his real name.

Luis said Leteve had recently confided in him the stress he was under.

“He said he was going through a divorce and that it was brutal, he was going to lose everything that he had,” Luis explained.

According to Pubins, Leteve was “distraught over a pending divorce with his estranged wife.”

Court papers show that Andre and Laurie Leteve had reached an “impasse” of irreconcilable differences within their marriage and that she petitioned for a divorce in October 2009.
Both parents were asking for sole custody of Alec and Asher Leteve.

In late November, Laurie petitioned the courts to allow her to take the boys on a Christmas cruise with her family after Andre allegedly e-mailed her, accusing her of using the vacation as a “guise” to “unlawfully” take the boys from him.

A family court judge ruled to allow Laurie to take her two boys on the family vacation.

Luis said that Andre constantly talked about his young sons and those who know him were shocked to hear what had happened.

“That was his life, nothing else really mattered, but his boys,” he said. “I’d known him to snap before and lose his temper, but to the magnitude of what he did … no.”

According to officials, Laurie Leteve was not at the home at the time of the shooting.

Pubins said officers picked her up and brought her to Leteve’s house where she was met by crisis counselors.

“For her, this is catastrophic. How do you say you’re sorry, how do you even show your remorse or ask her if there’s anything you can do? I don’t think there are words for that,” said Luis.

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment. You are free to voice your opinion but please keep it clean. Any comments using profanity will be rejected.