Obese Teen Dies in Rockford House Fire

September 16th, 2010 by Staff

Chicago – A Rockford teenager died in a house fire after firefighters were unable to rescue her because, they said, she weighed over 500 pounds.

Jamaya Herron, 18, was pronounced dead at the home. Emergency officials said the cause of death was smoke inhalation.

Firefighters said the fire started after someone left a candle burning overnight on a wooden table.

The teen’s parents and younger foster brothers were rushed to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Two firefighters were also checked out by doctors after they hurt their backs trying to save the girl.


Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment. You are free to voice your opinion but please keep it clean. Any comments using profanity will be rejected.