Man rearrested, accused of having sex with teen

January 16th, 2014 by Staff

( A day after an athletic director of a military school was released on bond for interference with child custody, he was rearrested by an Ocala police detective on more serious charges.

Duane Ernest Adams now faces eight counts of sexual battery custodial, eight counts of lewd and lascivious exhibition and eight counts of lewd and lascivious molestation on the same juvenile, according to authorities.

Flanked by Detective Jorge Fernandez and Officer D. Parish as he exited the Ocala Police Department and made his way to a parked squad car, a handcuffed Adams told a Star-Banner reporter that he had sex with the 15-year-old girl.

Asked why he was guilty of the offenses, he said, “Because it’s against the law.”

Dressed in shorts, a T-shirt and sneakers, Adams added he got “caught up with something I shouldn’t have done.”

A retired U.S. Army sergeant first class with more than 20 years of service, Adams said he had nothing to say to the victim’s family.

Bond for the 54-year-old Ocala man was set at $176,000.

Col. William “Bill” Archibald, director of Francis Military Academy, where Adams taught Russian, team sports and started the school’s award-winning orienteering team, said “I’m absolutely appalled.” Archibald said Adams had been suspended without pay and Adams’ employment at the school “will be terminated.”

“We can’t have him back,” said Archibald, urging anyone who knows anything about Adams and his behavior to come forward and report it to either the school or to the OPD. “We’re all beside ourselves at the academy.”

Archibald said Adams is the only person being linked so far to inappropriate conduct.

Divorced, Adams, in an interview with Fernandez on Wednesday, confessed to taking the juvenile to his apartment at 1601 SW 27th Ave. where they had sex. He said they’re in love and that they had exchanged wedding vows and rings. He said in front of God, they’re married.

He also told the detective he was waiting until she turned 16 to run away to another state and marry her using fictitious names.

On Tuesday, Fernandez interviewed the teen, where she said she had sex with Adams while they were in Daytona. She said they had been dating for about six months, and during that time, he has fondled her and she has performed sex acts on him while they were at his apartment. She said the incidents occurred during the night or whenever she sneaked out of her home.

Adams faces sex charges in Daytona, officials said.

Last Friday, the victim was reported as a runaway by her parents after she didn’t show up to the school. Adams, officers said, had shown up at the girl’s home on Friday morning to take her to school, but the child’s mother told him to leave, which he did, and her mother took her daughter to school.

Over the weekend, police spoke with several people, including Adams, about the girl. Adams denied knowing where she was. On Monday, Fernandez and Sgt. Brian Young went to Adams’ apartment, where he told them he had not talked to the girl since Friday. He said he was aware she was a runaway but did not know her whereabouts, her phone number or how to contact her.

Found Monday in front of a restaurant, the teen told Fernandez she and another girl had run away on Friday and they went to Gainesville, Orlando and Daytona Beach. She said Adams met them in Daytona and she took a picture of him wearing her blond wig.

She said Adams left around midnight, but later came back and then took her to Ocala to a place that has small cabins for rent. She said that on Monday, Adams texted her saying she needed to turn herself in before he went to jail, according to reports.

Adams met with Fernandez on Tuesday and told the detective that he went to pick the girl up on Friday morning but that her mother told him to leave. He said he did, but he said he knew the girl had run away so he let her stay at his apartment on Friday while he was at work.

Adams said they went to Daytona Beach on Friday afternoon and that he paid for a hotel room at the Royal Inn by using a fake name and cash because he did not want to get caught.

Adams said they spent Friday and Saturday at the hotel. They left Sunday and went to the Ocala RV Campground at 3200 SW 38th Ave., and he rented a cabin for her for four days, then he went to a tennis game, the report states.

Adams told Fernandez he saw the girl on Monday and bought her lunch. He said he never touched her and that no one else had been with them, the report notes.

Initially charged with interference with custody of a child on Tuesday, he was released Tuesday night on $2,000.

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment. You are free to voice your opinion but please keep it clean. Any comments using profanity will be rejected.