Gainesville Sun: Boy dies after trip to dentist

April 29th, 2010 by

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - The Gainesville Sun reports that a five-year-old boy from Cedar Key, Florida, is dead after a trip to the dentist.

Dylan Shane Stewart died Tursday after being sedated with chloral hydrate at a dentist appointment. He was having some cavities filled and caps placed.

Close friends of the Stewarts say Dylan never had medical problems. Dylan was a twin; he was the larger of the two babies when he was born.

The newspaper reports that Dylan was pronounced dead at Shands at the University of Florida about 45 minutes after arriving for treatment.

Local pediatric dentist Dr. Nick White told FOX 35 that chloral hydrate is commonly used as a sedative in dental procedures and rarely causes any medical problems. He says the drug affects coordination and memory and is a fast-working drug that metabolizes quickly.


Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment. You are free to voice your opinion but please keep it clean. Any comments using profanity will be rejected.