Dry Ice Sends 3 Middle Schoolers To Hospital

May 7th, 2010 by


Three sixth-graders at the Sumner Whitter School in Everett were taken to Children’s Hospital after swallowing dry ice Wednesday morning, according to Superintendent Frederick F. Foresteire.

He said the students apparently swallowed the dry ice because of a dare.
“One student dared two, they did it. And then another student dared a student, and three of them drank it,” he said.
“They were laughing and they were like, ‘Oh, it tastes good. It tastes cool,’” classmate Jamina Georges said. “And then the lady was like, ‘You can die from that.’”
As of late Wednesday afternoon, two of the students had been released from the hospital. One boy was in respiratory distress when he was taken from the school, and he was given oxygen.
“He could hardly talk. He was not breathing well. I just spoke to the poison control center and said he needed oxygen and he needed to be transported,” school nurse Elizabeth Harper said.
Officials said a nonprofit group called Science from Scientists had been in the school helping with labs and had been performing an experiment. The school is located at 337 Broadway St.
Dry ice is solidified carbon dioxide which is extremely cold and can freeze skin and cause frost burns. If swallowed, it can burn the esophagus and mouth and a build up of the gas inside the stomach can cause it to rupture.

2 Responses

  1. rb

    I’m sorry, Darwin, we weren’t listening….. What was that about natural selection???

  2. Friday, May 07, 2010 | Bubba the Love Sponge® Show

    [...] Cinco de Mayo Ex-Boy Scout Leader Faces Child Porn Charges Ex-Husband Arrested in House Bomb Case Dry Ice Sends 3 Middle Schoolers To Hospital Taylor arrested, charged with rape Lakeland man arrested for preaching too loud DNA-cleared man [...]

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment. You are free to voice your opinion but please keep it clean. Any comments using profanity will be rejected.