Drug-Laced Chocolate Suspected in Poisoning of Students

November 5th, 2010 by Staff

Source: NBC LA — Eight middle schools students were taken to the hospital Thursday after eating a chocolate bar that contained an unknown substance.
School officials from George Washington Carver Middle School said that the students, who are all between 11 and 13 years old, were ill after consuming the treat. Early paramedic reports had indicated that marijuana brownies might have been involved, said Erik Scott of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
The Los Angeles Times reported that one of the students later said that he bought a chocolate bar at a skate shop and shared it with friends. However, authorities told NBCLA the student later changed that story, and admitted to buying the candy from someone on the street.
Ill with upset stomachs, the students were examined by the school nurse, who found that they had rapid heartbeats and high blood pressure. The students were taken to County-USC Medical Center and are said to be in good condition.
Authorities are still trying to determine exactly what was in the chocolate bar.
This incident comes within weeks of another report of kids being sickened by marijuana. Two weeks ago, three children were hospitalized in Huntington Beach after eating pot-laced cookies.


Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment. You are free to voice your opinion but please keep it clean. Any comments using profanity will be rejected.