College basketball star chokes on gum while sleeping

January 20th, 2015 by Staff

Shanice Clark, 21, was found unresponsive in her apartment at 3 am Sunday.


(WPXI.COM) CALIFORNIA, Pa. – A California University of Pennsylvania women’s basketball player died early Sunday morning after she was found not breathing in her apartment.

Shanice Clark, 21, a senior from Ontario, Canada, was found unresponsive at the Vulcan Village Apartments about 3 am. Police said her roommates found her when she fell off her bed.

Clark was taken to Monongahela Valley Hospital, where she was pronounced dead about an hour later.

Police said preliminary reports from medical personnel indicate that Clark aspirated on chewing gum while she was sleeping.

Clark was a communication studies major and a forward on the women’s basketball team, according to a statement released by the school.

“It’s sad,” said Lauren Buck, a junior at the university. “I never would think you would choke on something like that, you know? My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends. It’s going to be a sad couple days here on campus.”
Geraldine M. Jones, the interim president of California University of Pennsylvania, released the following statement Monday:

“On behalf of California University of Pennsylvania, I extend my deepest sympathy to all of Shanice’s friends and family. She will be missed by her teammates and coaches, her classmates and by the entire campus community.”

It was also announced Monday that the university had moved Wednesday’s women’s basketball game to Thursday. 


Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment. You are free to voice your opinion but please keep it clean. Any comments using profanity will be rejected.