Boston doctor dies from gunshot wounds following hospital shooting

January 21st, 2015 by Staff

Davidson, 44, was shot Tuesday just after 11 am.

( BOSTON, Mass. – The doctor who was shot Tuesday morning at Brigham and Women’s Hospital died Tuesday evening after succumbing to his injuries. 

Dr. Michael J. Davidson, 44 of Wellesley, was the director of endovascular cardiac surgery, and an assistant professor at Harvard Medical School. 
Davidson was shot twice Tuesday morning, and was in surgery Tuesday evening, but later died as a result of the gunshot wounds he suffered. 

Brigham and Women’s Hospital released a statement about Davidson’s death.

“Dr. Davidson was a wonderful and inspiring cardiac surgeon who devoted his career to saving lives and improving the quality of life of every patient he cared for,” the statement read in part. “It is truly devastating that his own life was taken in this horrible manner. At this time, Dr. Davidson’s family has requested privacy, and we ask for your support in honoring their request during this very difficult time.”

Boston police identified the shooter as 55-year-old Stephen Pasceri of Millbury.

Millbury Police Lt. Donald Desorcy helped the Boston Police Department notify Pasceri’s family. 

“They say they were shocked, nothing they anticipated,” Desorcy said. “We’ve had no issues at all with the family themselves.”

In a press conference, the Boston Police Department said Pasceri was found dead in an examination room with a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Three shots had been fired altogether. 

The incident happened just after 11 am. in the Shapiro Cardiovascular Center. 

“They were putting on the loud speaker there was a life threatening emergency on the second floor,” said witness Devin Cruz, who was inside at the time.

The hospital was briefly placed on lockdown. Police came and ordered people out of the building.

“All of a sudden they had their guns drawn and they were saying hurry, hit the floor, down, stay down, stay low,” witness Kathy Pitelli said.

“[The shooter] came into the hospital asking for this particular doctor,” Boston Police Commissioner William Evans said. “We don’t know why. That’s something we’re looking into.”

Pasceri reportedly fired two shots at Davidson and then turned the gun on himself.

Multiple sources told FOX 25 that Pasceri’s mother recently died, and Davidson had treated her. 

“For someone to walk into a hospital where healing is being done, people’s lives are being saved…and take a life..or try to take a life…that’s scary,” witness James Pitelli said.

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment. You are free to voice your opinion but please keep it clean. Any comments using profanity will be rejected.