Authorities clear Eagles Allen of indecent exposure allegation

February 24th, 2015 by Staff

The alleged incident occurred on February 16th according to police.


(NBC2.COM) FT. MYERS, Fla. – The State Attorney’s Office Monday said NFL star Nate Allen did not commit an allegation of indecent exposure and denied a summons request from law enforcement.

On Feb. 17 the State Attorney’s Office received an affidavit and request for a summons for Nathaniel Ray Allen, 27, from the Fort Myers Police Department for a charge of exposure of sexual organs, which is a misdemeanor.

The allegation stemmed from an incident on US 41 on Feb. 16 - Allen was detained for hours by FMPD.

The SAO requested follow-up investigation and information, including video from surveillance cameras along US 41, the 16-year-old victim’s 911 call, and measurements and photographs of the vehicles.

All along, Allen has denied any wrongdoing and called the allegation against him false and disgusting.

After reviewing and evaluating the totality of the evidence received from FMPD, information and evidence provided by Allen through his interviews and his attorney, Sawyer Smith – and through further investigation – Allen could not have been the perpetrator alleged in the reports, according to the SAO. 

The summons request is denied, the SAO announced on Monday.

Fort Myers police issued a release on the case Monday as well. 

In it, they say Allen’s truck matched the description of the vehicle driven by the perpetrator; the driver matched the description provided by the victim and the vehicle was heading from the area of the crime location that was described to police.

FMPD also said in its statement that the victim never wavered in her testimony and identified Allen as the perpetrator of the alleged offense.

Police said they later obtained surveillance videos showing another truck traveling next to the victim’s vehicle.

“The video evidence clearly indicates that Mr. Allen was not the perpetrator of the offense,” a statement Monday from FMPD said.

FMPD Chief Doug Baker ordered the Professional Standards Bureau of his department to do an administrative review of the incident.

State Attorney Steve Russell said in Monday’s statement: “After reviewing the case and situation, Mr. Nate Allen should be commended for his patience, cooperation, and understanding.”

The victim should be commended for her cooperation and willingness to report the offense as well, according to the SAO statement on Monday.

FMPD is still investigating the incident and asks anyone with information to call them at 239-321-7700. Or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-780-TIPS.

Response from Allen’s camp

Allen told us by phone Monday that he “wanted to show people with hard evidence that this is literally impossible and it 300 percent did not happen.”

Allen was pulled over on Colonial Boulevard – not long after he left a restaurant on US-41 where he previously worked. His lawyer, Sawyer Smith said the girl who called police placed that call at 4:54. But Allen was in the process of paying for his meal at the restaurant at 4:47.

On the way out of the restaurant the Cape Coral High School grad took pictures with fans – those were posted on social media by 4:53, according to Smith.

Then Allen, a Philadelphia Eagles defensive back, texted his mother which left a time-stamp also of 4:53. Then by 4:54, Allen’s phone records show he was talking to a friend – that call lasted 8 minutes.

That friend signed a statement confirming he was on the phone at that time and that nothing seemed out of the ordinary.
Allen indicated that what happened to him doesn’t end with this.

“There still needs to be a lot brought to the table… Because of how my civil rights were violated,” he said.

Smith on Monday also touched on what could come next saying it looks like FMPD has thrown a pick six which is an interception returned for a touchdown.

Smith on Monday also criticized other elements of the police investigation – namely that authorities had the girl identify Allen while he was detained. 

“The courts have found that the method used by FMPD is inherently suggestive and leads to potential misidentification,” Smith said.

A news conference from Allen’s team is scheduled for Tuesday regarding “false allegations against him and the decision of the State Attorney’s office to deny the issuance of a summons sought by the Fort Myers Police Department and declare his complete innocence,” according to a press release from Smith’s office.

Smith says in the release issued late Monday: “There is no place in our city for police misconduct. Today is a day that the freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights stands tall against even the most absurd and unfounded allegations.”


Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment. You are free to voice your opinion but please keep it clean. Any comments using profanity will be rejected.